Tuesday, July 14, 2009

HDR

HDR photography is defined my Wikipedia as "high dynamic range imaging (HDRI or just HDR) is a set of techniques that allows a greater dynamic range of luminances between light and dark areas of a scene than normal digital imaging techniques. The intention of HDRI is to accurately represent the wide range of intensity levels found in real scenes ranging from direct sunlight to shadows."

So basically you take multiple photos of the same scene at different exposures and then combine the photos together so that you get the best exposure for each portion of the website. Or at least that is the best way that I can describe it.

My friend Ryan, who is a photo guru, promised to help me learn how to take HDR photos. He has been in the maritimes on vacation for a little over a week and we got together tonight at Conrads Beach to try the HDR technique. The taking photos part I understood beforehand but processing was the part I had no clue how to do.

This is the result of one of the images I created. More to come soon :)




**Edit** After posting this I went back through some images and found these series of images that I took after I did Ashley and Daniel's engagement session. The HDR image is awesome!!


4 comments:

  1. I am a fan! :)

    I have wanted to try this forever but I still need to learn to use my cam hehahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that they will be more

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to see more what my eyes see in photos, to me these look almost fake , cool looking but still not capturing what the person would have seen at that particular moment of the picture being taken..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christine,

    Very cool photos! I especially like the field/fence photo.

    You've had much more success with your HDR work than I have. Do you know what exposure settings you used for these? Did you use auto-bracketing or set up the exposures manually?

    Whenever I've tried these they wind up looking too washed out. Have you had the problem?

    Keep it up, I'd love to see more!

    ReplyDelete