Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Star Shooter Contest

Yesterday I was procrastinating on getting some things checked off of my to-do list. What do I do when I procrastinate you ask? Twitter and Facebook!! While on Twitter I stumbled upon a posting by user johnnabrynn about a photo contest. It is called the Star Shooters Contest. On the Star Shooter organization website it states:

"Johnna is a professional photographer that has a passion to see hurting children healed. She uses phototherapy as a technique that will allow children to use photography as the catalyst for communication, change and healing. Johnna offers a unique therapeutic tool to aid children in their vital and delicate process of restoration."
Basically for the contest you submit a photo, $25 per photo submission, and the proceeds go to buying cameras for underprivileged children. I thought, what a grrrrrreat idea! I always see charities set up to help kids go to summer camps and sports camps and participate on sports teams, but I have never seen one that helps children get involved in photography. I love it!!! The prize for the contest is your choice of $2000 or a Canon 5D Mk II. Personally, if I win I'm going to the 5D. It's like my dream camera :)

So I then started thinking about what type of photo I wanted to enter. When I first started taking photos it was usually of friends and models in town. Just portraits. One of those models was a guy named Trevor. Trevor and I had so much fun working together that he asked me to photograph him and his girlfriend. It was something I had never done before but I thought "Hey, why not?". So we got together almost 2 years ago and had a really relaxed and fun session in downtown Halifax. This session is what inspired me to start taking photos of couples. It inspired me to capture love with my camera :) If it hadn't been for Trevor and his girlfriend Kara I wouldn't be doing what I do.

I went back through our session today and there are SO many photos to choose from. Trevor and Kara were so good at just being natural and interacting with eachother in front of the camera.

I finally decided on the photo below. I edited it again for the contest using my new Photoshop Actions from The Pioneer Woman. You can find these actions on her website here, and best of all, they're free!




And just for shits and giggles here are the rest of the photos I had originally edited from our session.



















And oh yeah! Since I mentioned it already, if you want to add me on Facebook go here, and if you would like to follow me on Twitter go here.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment