Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How fast can you do it?

My new addiction has been .... RUBIK'S CUBES!!! Ha ha ha. Nerdy eh? Hey, give me a break, I gotta do something when I'm bored right? And might as well challenge my brain and my hands! hehehe.

So the about a week ago I started watching YouTube videos explaining how to solve the Rubik's Cube. Specifically these two: Video 1 Video 2. There is actually methodology behind solving them and once you remember the different algorithms for different situations it becomes pretty easy to solve. I think my biggest challenge now is mixing them up. Hahaha. I usually get other people to do that for me.

A friend of mine (Dave) is what they call a "speed cuber". This means that he can solve a Rubik's Cube in under 40 seconds, although I believe I have seen him do it in like 20 ish seconds. The world record for the fastest solve is 7.08 seconds made by Erik Akkersdijk. Pretty impressive eh?

Well although I cannot solve a Rubik's Cube in under 40 seconds, I did just time myself today at CubeTimer and my solve took 2 minutes, 33.03 seconds. YaY me!! Nerdy, I know, but I'm OK with that! I hope to learn some new algorithms in the new year from my friend Dave and be able to solve it faster and faster. I'll have to track my progress on here!

Here's a photo of the Rubik's Cubes I have been using. The one on top was givin out at work a few months ago and the one on bottom is actually one I have borrowed from Dave until I buy a good one for myself.



Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment